August 22, 2011: New York Fed/NYU Stern Conference
2012 7th New York FedNYU Stern Conference on Financial Intermediation: The Seventh New York Fed/NYU Stern Conference on Financial Intermediation, May 4-5, 2012
August 16, 2011: Suggest Your Editor
Suggest an editor for your submission! To take into account author preferences and make the best possible editorial assignments, the RFS now has authors suggest a possible editor for their submissions as a routine part of the process for new submissions. Please bear in mind that we cannot always accommodate author preferences. Assignments of submissions to editors depends on several additional important factors, including editorial workloads, expertise, and conflicts of interest.
July 18, 2011: Cavalcade Call for Papers
The 2012 SFS Finance Cavalcade Call For Papers
Submission Deadline September 15, 2011
Submissions Accepted Starting August 1.
June 30, 2011 – 11:59pm EDT: Farewell Note
A farewell note from Matthew Spiegel: Farewell.
June 30, 2011: Awards and Editor Changes
As of July 1, David Hirshleifer will replace Matthew Spiegel as the Executive Editor of RFS .
The RFS wants to extend its wholehearted thanks to our retiring Associate Editors Andres Almazan, Heitor Almeida, Allen Berger, Mara Faccio, Charlie Hadlock, and Gideon Saar for their dedicated service over the past three years. At the same time we would like to welcome our new Associate Editors Philip Strahan, Darren Kisgen, Ekkehart Boehmer, Alex Edmans, Craig Doidge, and Bruce Carlin to the board. We look forward to working with them.
Congratulations to this year’s RFS award winners:
- Michael J. Brennan Best Paper Prize
- First Prize: Charles J. Hadlock and Joshua R. Pierce for their article, “New Evidence on Measuring Financial Constraints: Moving Beyond the KZ Index.”
- Second Prize: Jie Gan for her article, “Housing Wealth and Consumption Growth: Evidence from a Large Panel of Households.”
- Young Researcher Prize : Ashwini K. Agrawal for his article, “Corporate Governance Objectives of Labor Union Shareholders: Evidence from Proxy Voting.”
- Outstanding Referee Award goes to Philip Strahan for his tireless work on behalf of the RFS . A single award to honor those who contribute their time far above and beyond the call of duty to the RFS misses the many individuals deserving recognition for their efforts. The RFS is thus also pleased to announce that this year’s Distinguished Referee Awards have been awarded to: Darren Kisgen, Luca Benzoni, Lubos Pastor, Eitan Goldman, Ekkehart Boehmer, Malcolm Baker, Murillo Campello, Peter Christoffersen, and Tarun Chordia.
June 16, 2011: Cavalcade Bids for 2013
A Call for Bids for the 2013 SFS Finance Cavalcade
Bids should be sent by September 1, 2011.
The Society for Financial Studies is seeking bids to cohost the 2013 Finance Cavalcade. This conference is a joint project of the Review of Financial Studies, the Review of Corporate Finance Studies, and the Review of Asset Pricing Studies.
The SFS Finance Cavalcade is a five day conference covering all areas of finance. This year’s format featured an hour per paper and two parallel sessions. Our goal is to provide a setting that produces the kind of in-depth participation of a smaller conference while accommodating the variety of papers of a larger one. We currently expect the 2013 Cavalcade to take place in the late spring or early summer.
At a minimum, bids must include information about
• Available classroom facilities
• Available hotel facilities
• Ability to sponsor some or all meals, including breakfasts, lunches and dinners
• Ability to sponsor printing and other participant handouts
• Local logistical support
If you are interested in either submitting a proposal or obtaining additional information contact Wayne Ferson, Paolo Fulghieri, or David Hirshleifer.
May 20, 2011:
The Society for Financial Studies Annual Meeting will take place on June 21 at 5pm at the La Fonda on the Plaza hotel (100 E. San Francisco St.) at the Western Finance Association meetings in Santa Fe, New Mexico. At the meeting, the membership will vote on two issues. First, there will be an election of officers for the SFS. The nominating committee has proposed Kenneth Singleton for President and Matthew Spiegel for Vice President. Second, there will be an election of editors for the Review of Financial Studies. David Hirshleifer has been nominated for Executive Editor. This notice is in accordance with our by-laws which require notification to our membership of upcoming votes.
February 15, 2011:
The RFS post-doctoral position is available for the next academic year. Job responsibilities include recommending referees, and ensuring that all formatting guidelines are met prior to processing submissions. The person filling the position can hold it for up to two years. If you are interested in the position or know somebody that is, please have them contact the incoming Executive Editor, David Hirshleifer, for additional details.
February 8, 2011:
Effective July 1, David Hirshleifer will assume the role of Executive Editor at the Review of Financial Studies. Dr. Hirshleifer is a Professor of Finance and Merage Chair in Business Growth, at the Paul Merage School of Business at UC Irvine, and has a long-standing history with the RFS. We are confident he will do an excellent job and wish him every success!
February 8, 2011 :
The RFS is looking to add freelance technical paper copy editors. If you know somebody in the area please contact Matthew Spiegel.
January 25, 2011:
The 2011 SFS Finance Cavalcade will be held on May 23-27, 2011 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Register by May 9 to receive the early registration fee of $60.